SDIF's Similarities to Generation Kill

Discussions and chats related to Six Days in Fallujah.
BobTank63

SDIF's Similarities to Generation Kill

I first watched GK earlier this year and very much enjoyed its in-depth look about the initial invasion. One thing that did come to mind after I finished it is this game. Both seem to be interested in sharing an in-depth look at the Iraq war from the US perspective. Both also appear to have no problems showing how FUBAR things could get in war.

So, I was wondering how many people here have read/watched Generation Kill, and if they also see any similarities.

I also have a question for Amper: Was the dev team ever influenced by GK when making this game?

Also, if anyone who reads this hasn't seen GK, I highly recommend it. You can find it on HBO Max, or if you like reading you can get a copy of the book here: www.amazon.com/Generation-Kill-Captain- ... 0425224740.
aggimajera

Re: SDIF's Similarities to Generation Kill

Read and watched Gen Kill. Surprised me just how faithful the TV series was to the book and consider it the best portrayal of the military in visual medium. The humor, the FUBAR aspect of CoC, the frankness of the combat scenes, all of it serves to de-glamorize war and the Marine Corps. Brutally honest, its second to none. I'd never met any officers quite as questionable, and I have heard complaints that Gen Kill treats its officers unfairly since Wright wrote it with 20/20 hindsight. I'd recommend reading One Bullet Away by Nate Fick, Bravo 2's LT.

I'd like to know if the devs took any inspiration from "No True Glory", which is the most comprehensive view of the Battle of Fallujah IMO.
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Re: SDIF's Similarities to Generation Kill

BobTank63 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:23 pm I also have a question for Amper: Was the dev team ever influenced by GK when making this game?
Great question. The team is very familiar with Generation Kill, and it's often made its way into internal discussions.