Mr. Tamate and Controversy

Discussions and chats related to Six Days in Fallujah.
aggimajera

Mr. Tamate and Controversy

The backlash against Highwire and Mr. Tamate for the revelation of the game was no doubt expected. Then the revelation that SDIF wouldn't include the use of White Phosphorous or portray war crimes occurred, adding weight to every criticism in existence. Your mission statement was to show Fallujah, as it happened, on the ground. But your leaning towards non-fiction makes you vulnerable to critics. You've been accused of doing what all entertainment media has been guilty of at one point or another: revisionist history and whitewashing warfare. For a topic as sensitive as the Iraq War it surely must be understood why such a statement is controversial. After Mr. Tamate stating it was not necessary to show war crimes to show the truth of the events on the ground, the criticisms are a just observation.

You've gone (mostly) silent since March, and have been allocating funds and capital to expand on the game. I can't wait to see how that will shape up, and I will buy the game when its released. But on the subject of Mr. Tamate's controversial statements. Has anything changed internally on that front or does Mr. Tamate's stance remain at the core of the project?
BobTank63

Re: Mr. Tamate and Controversy

See here: https://www.sixdays.com/news/a-word-about-politics

Edit: I assume you are talking about the Polygon interview when you mention controversial statements? I recommend reading the article in full and focusing on what Tamate actually says. Other than the atrocities quote (I fully agree that white phosphorus should be discussed, I wouldn't be buying the game with it wasn't), a lot of what Tamate states is taken out of context. The writer seems more interested in playing on people's anger to get more clicks than actually learning about the game and sharing that info. The first and last paragraphs really show this.
aggimajera

Thank you for the direction. Yes, I'm aware of the Polygon article, but I wasn't actually talking about the politics aspect. I was referring to the statement where he'd alluded to it being unnecessary to show atrocity to get across the human cost of the battle.

Edit: Granted, I'm aware that the people interviewed don't provide too much of an angle on this particular aspect. Being an avid history buff and all, I am of the belief nothing should be deemed unnecessary when telling history or non-fiction.
BobTank63

aggimajera wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:23 pm Thank you for the direction. Yes, I'm aware of the Polygon article, but I wasn't actually talking about the politics aspect. I was referring to the statement where he'd alluded to it being unnecessary to show atrocity to get across the human cost of the battle.

Edit: Granted, I'm aware that the people interviewed don't provide too much of an angle on this particular aspect. Being an avid history buff and all, I am of the belief nothing should be deemed unnecessary when telling history or non-fiction.
I completely agree. As a fellow avid history buff, I enjoy getting a complete picture of the events I'm reading about.
AmperCamper
Community Manager

BobTank63 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:01 pm See here: https://www.sixdays.com/news/a-word-about-politics
Yes, much of this topic is discussed right on our website for anyone to read. But, our efforts are focused on the stories we've been told by the many Marines, Soldiers, and civilians who were present at the battle. The team was asked to tell these stories, and so we are. We hope, through the many gameplay and documentary segments, that there is a better understanding of the human cost of war.