Ragdolls vs death animations

Discussions and chats related to Six Days in Fallujah.
Rafael Valor

Ragdolls vs death animations

Honestly it's getting tiresome to still see ragdoll animations in FPS games (especially in Unreal 4 games), I prefer the normal death animations, they seem much more realistic. Will never forget how the devs in Ghost Recon 2001 simulated being hit through motion capture in the making of (not with real bullets of course) to add more immersion to the game.

I mean I could see a ragdoll happening if a guy is hit in the head but most military personnel aim for center mass and AFAIK he will not drop like a sack of potatoes.

Still, wouldn't mind seeing a bit of both.
Last edited by Rafael Valor on Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
staropal0972

Re: Ragdolls vs death animations

Coupled with the discussion about the realistic voice acting I really hope it makes an impact each time you actually shoot or kill someone. You should feel something as they scream in pain or while wounded and dying from wounds. Also it is not pleasant, it is realistic viewtopic.php?f=14&t=277
valentinbk

One thing I really hope for is that character responses will go beyond the usual alive and kicking\dead. As in characters being easier to disable than to actually kill, with prolonged animations of injured characters lying in pain on the ground if the hit was not fatal.
Insurgency Sandstorm sort of did that with active ragdolls (disclaimer - I made this vid):

They look really cool, but they are rather short. The reason is the active ragdoll, having many of those will notably slow down your performance.

Another option is initially a ragdoll (or an active ragdoll), and then an animation loop, based on whether the character landed on the chest or the stomach. You can actually have many characters in that state, since they're not responding to physics in the animation itself.

Based on this screen though, seems like they're going for more than just alive and kicking\dead. I'm mainly curious to which degree
staropal0972

I believe Peter Tamte (lead producer of SDIF) has said in an interview before that he didn't want to make the game too graphic or gory, but at the same time he would not like to sanitize the whole experience, and that it would be handled similarly to most modern shooters today. The game would also feature a possibly complex medical/healing system unlike most games, which I think is really awesome. It's something I too hope they get right. These are great suggestions!
valentinbk

staropal0972 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:33 am I believe Peter Tamte (lead producer of SDIF) has said in an interview before that he didn't want to make the game too graphic or gory, but at the same time he would not like to sanitize the whole experience, and that it would be handled similarly to most modern shooters today. The game would also feature a possibly complex medical/healing system unlike most games, which I think is really awesome. It's something I too hope they get right. These are great suggestions!
There's room to do interesting things in that aspect without deformed heads and brains scattered on the floor.

*Like avoiding massive blood splashes, puff and stains, but instead to focus on visual bleeding after the hit (The Last of Us 2 has an excellent blood pooling functionality).
*Different wounds based on where you hit - wound with blood streaks if you hit the face\exposed skin (the blood streaks can be pre made, you don't have to dynamically simulate them to deliver the effect), a hole on the helmet with blood streaks running below on the face if you hit that (seeing bleeding wounds on helmets is very common), blood soaking if you hit cloth, milder soaking if there's a vest on top, hole with no blood if you hit something big like a backpack (once again, very common to see bleeding backpacks\pouches\radios in games).
*OFC wounds should appear where the bullet hit, and not be pre made overlays (ARMA series do the overlay stuff sadly)

I hope they will go beyond what most modern shooters do today, even if they're not planning to make it too graphic. Would be interesting to see a realistic, detailed system for a change.