Realistic Voice Acting/Death Sounds

Discussions and chats related to Six Days in Fallujah.
Treesarefun

Realistic Voice Acting/Death Sounds

Realistic voice acting would add a whole other level of immersion to this game. There needs to be authentic, "human" callouts and dialogue. Stuff that a scared/adrenaline filled 20 year old dude would say. Soldiers are not robots, they get scared. Voice cracks, coughing, and fumbled words would be ideal to make the game feel real.

There also needs to be audible enemy dialogue and callouts. In their native language of course. In CQB, you can hear the enemy communicate to each other. It is very eerie. Sometimes they even scream insults at you.

And finally, as morbid as it sounds, there needs to be realistic screams/death sounds. I don't think this needs much explaining. In real life, most people don't silently fall over and ragdoll when shot. Dying is a long, brutal, and emotional process. When stuff like this is absent in war games, it is glaringly obvious. When present, it immensely adds to immersion and can make the player feel empathetic for the enemy. Killing another human should not make you feel good. Yes, they are Al Qaeda, but the only difference between you and them is ideology and nationality.

I think that SDIF should do everything in it's power to show the tragedy of combat. Enemies should scream, cry, moan, and groan like a human when they are wounded/killed. Players should feel something when they kill another human. Even if it's just for the first few times.
Last edited by Treesarefun on Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stickfigure21

Re: Realistic Voice Acting/Death Sounds

I feel like most war games the dialog always feels cheesy. Real military conversations are gritty and vulgar, and I think this game needs to show that. Especially in combat.

There was one mission that I thought did a good job getting the feel of real military conversations right, that was “Operation Swordbreaker” from one of the older battlefield games. The whole riding in the APC at the start and just the shit the guys would talk about sounded legit.

I also feel like games focus too much on getting the voice perfect when reality is fucks up sometimes. Peoples voice cracks, or people cough, stutter, and all that. That’s realistic.

Just my 2¢
Stickfigure21

Here’s the mission I referenced. Listen to the voices, not just what they say, but HOW they say it.

Especially during the ambush by the building, constantly communicating even under fire. Checking who’s “up” after the ambush, and ordering the squad to quote “Light that building the FUCK up”

Blade0351

Stickfigure21 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:48 pm Here’s the mission I referenced. Listen to the voices, not just what they say, but HOW they say it.

Especially during the ambush by the building, constantly communicating even under fire. Checking who’s “up” after the ambush, and ordering the squad to quote “Light that building the FUCK up”

I completely agree with you. This mission was one of the best co.bat missions in any game ever. The tension of just patrolling, the ambush, the pacing where it wasn't just run and gun the whole time, the sniper scene, it a worked.

And yes, the dialogue should be gritty and vulgar. When I was doing operations with my guys, we cursed all the time unless on the radio and you make mistakes when calling things out because of adrenaline. It happens. You have to make corrections and constantly yell.
staropal0972

Insurgency I recall also have realistic and authentic callouts/battle chatter. But based on the gameplay trailer we got back in March I think they've achieved some of that. Not too much to worry.
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Our audio reference is extensive, ranging from hours of video recorded during the battle itself to popular media sources like other games and films. This includes sources like the BF3 clip you guys shared, so thanks for this. At the end of the day, the believability of the audio often comes down to several pieces being blended: the acting, coaching of the actor, etc. This iteration process will absolutely be reviewed for accuracy across the board.
Stickfigure21

AmperCamper wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:42 am Our audio reference is extensive, ranging from hours of video recorded during the battle itself to popular media sources like other games and films. This includes sources like the BF3 clip you guys shared, so thanks for this. At the end of the day, the believability of the audio often comes down to several pieces being blended: the acting, coaching of the actor, etc. This iteration process will absolutely be reviewed for accuracy across the board.
Veterans are always the best source for things like that. But it’s Alway important to remember the average foot soldier only knows 5 feet to his left, and 5 feet to his right.

To get a good scope of the objectives in the battle, talk to an officer. To get a good scoop of the actual COMBAT, talk to an enlisted man haha. I’m sure you all know that well just from the reveal trailer.

-Steve