Missions from the original to stay the same despite procedural architecture?

Discussions and chats related to Six Days in Fallujah.
staropal0972

Missions from the original to stay the same despite procedural architecture?

Using a former Atomic Games developer's pacing chart for the original SDIF, I notice that not all missions were necessarily involved in house-to-house firefights, and some were even distant outside of the city, like the train station, and Jolan Park.

With the procedural architecture in mind, while this is cool and all, will the stories be changed from the ones listed here, or will they remain the same + more? I am really stoked to see those parts as well as the Hell House, as I really liked how you got a sneak peek of it per each few missions. I would be very much let down if these stories aren't going to make it to the current iteration, as the stories themselves should not change; this is a documentary game where the stories should be preserved with the utmost care and respect. I personally think it should be the stories from the original plus the additional stories gathered from post Konami/Atomic development/prior to Victura/Highwire development.

What I'm saying conclusively is that this version of SDIF should not be too different from the one in the original. Those stories I've read about Cpl. Dane Thompson, Sgt. Bill Sojda, Sgt. Eddie Garcia, Cpl. Nicholas Murray, LCpl. Mike Hanks, as well as their encounters with the Iraqi security forces and Army 2/7 Cavalry (also referenced under the chart provided) I believe should return to be heard about, but I am very unsure how this will be done when procedural architecture appears to be a major focus for the game. Again not all of these stories involved house clearing or indoor combat.
Attachments
SDIF_pacing_events.png
SDIF_pacing_events.png (248.44 KiB) Viewed 1743 times
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Re: Missions from the original to stay the same despite procedural architecture?

We very much appreciate this question as it shows a deep level of respect for the stories and storytellers, so thank you.

As for retaining elements from 2009: there are most definitely many pieces and people from the original that are still in this iteration. But, there are also some changes, too. I've mentioned before that we have more stories than we're practically able to tell as a small team. With that said, we're going to try.

As for historical accuracy: we are able to maintain the integrity of these stories even with procedural architecture because, in most cases, the layout of the building wasn’t central to the story. The specific challenge the Marine or Soldier had to overcome wasn’t specific to the room shape, location of windows, doors, or furniture, etc. However, we also have found very specific layouts of roads, buildings, or rooms to be absolutely essential to the challenge and define the encounter. For these cases specifically, we don’t procedurally generate these "Signature Buildings and Environments." More discussion on this here.