Ideas to deal with lack of microphones

Discussions and chats related to Six Days in Fallujah.

should we require a microphone input test to enter matchmaking?

Yes
54%
No
46%

Total votes: 13
xFatBoixxx

Ideas to deal with lack of microphones

As we all know it is absolutely annoying to deal with someone that does not have a mic in your game. I figure we can use this discussion topic to come up with ideas to solve the issue. For one I have an idea that would work if we could implement a system that before you can click enter matchmaking you should have to pass a microphone input test in order to click the enter matchmaking. Being as microphones are such an integral part of this game. This should apply to every time you enter matchmaking not just once or twice. If there are any other ideas, please post them in the replies and in the discussion. Next, we can also use this discussion to post places where people can buy a microphone because they Are not that expensive. If you cannot afford a microphone, please reach out to any of us and we will be more than happy to send you a link to job applications. Because clearly if you can't afford a microphone you need to get off your **** and go to work.
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Re: Ideas to deal with lack of microphones

I see where you're going with this, but I'm not sure restricting matchmaking to those with mics is the solution. Currently, we default communication options to "open" to encourage comms between teammates, but there are cases where folks just don't have microphones.

Does anyone else have thoughts on this?
xFatBoixxx

I understand restricting them would be wrong but I also understand how annoying it is to deal with maybe could we allow matchmaking for them but if they don’t do a microphone input test they maybe they can only matchmake with people who also don’t
KageOni

I would prefer a test that shows they can listen rather than talk.
Kean_1

AmperCamper wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:37 amDoes anyone else have thoughts on this?
Personally, I see many problems playing with randoms in games and refusing to communicate can be just one of them (which is why I only play with online friends). In fact, there are probably more times I wish some wouldn't because they can be annoying, have distracting background noise, etc. In either case, what's to prevent someone from having a mic simply muting it when the game starts anyhow?

IMO, it shouldn't be a forced requirement in public matchmaking but perhaps if there was a an option for the host only to be paired with those that do? I don't know how feasible that would be. Maybe those refusing to communicate via mic being paired with a whole team that doesn't will change their minds about it?
Necramonium

No communication means game over unless you got a group of friends who are so experienced they make the Navy Seals look like rookies. Microphones should be a absolute requirement to play this game, but i have never seen a game requiring you to have a microphone and demand an input.
BobTank63

AmperCamper wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:37 am I see where you're going with this, but I'm not sure restricting matchmaking to those with mics is the solution. Currently, we default communication options to "open" to encourage comms between teammates, but there are cases where folks just don't have microphones.

Does anyone else have thoughts on this?
I'm more in favor of accessibility to micless players myself. I recently posted a possible compromise in Suggestions here on the forums.

That being said, at a certain point there's only so much you can do for micless players. Playing a CO-OP tactical shooter without a mic is inherently going to be clunky and unfun at times, for both players with mics and without. Personally, if you want to put this issue to bed with as minimal hassle as possible, get the AI teammates released. It will make the game a lot more accessible to those without mics as they have an option to play without other people.

If people still complain after that, there isn't much you can do other than bit the bullet and tell them to get a mic, unfortunately.
MRTINK

While I agree that a mic is essential for a team based game, there are work arounds for it. I also play Insurgency: Sandstorm. In there we have a bloom that you can bring up with a single key stroke. Move the mouse over a preset command/comment and release the button. The game character says the line. That could work here also. If the preset key is 'H' then you press H and a bloom opens devided into 4,5 or 6 sections each with a different preset voice file. Example, "I'm Incap" "Need Help Here" "Medic" "I'm Bandaging Here" "Going to the AAV for reinforcements" "Need smoke there" Etc. This would alow the player without a mic to still be able to communicate with the squad.
fiddy1

Matchmake mic users to mic users and non mics to non mics.