Not sure how I feel

Discussions and chats related to Six Days in Fallujah.
Recon4thCav

Not sure how I feel

As a Veteran of Operation Phantom Fury, I'm not sure how I feel about this game. I get some of us want to tell our stories, but I know this will hurt others. I also understand civilians want to feel what war is, but nothing can do that unless you go to war and fight.

I also have to respect the Gold Star Families that are against this. Have you tried to reach out to them? Why use real names?
AmperCamper
Community Manager

Re: Not sure how I feel

Recon,

Thank you for posting on our forums and offering your thoughts on this. We agree that no form of media can fully communicate what war is. Film, TV, sculpture — all forms of art — can only provide slices of understanding.

We have had many conversations with Gold Star families over the years. Like every group, Gold Star families also hold a variety of perspectives about this. At the end of the day, we share a goal with many of them of not allowing those who fought in this battle to be forgotten.

Most importantly, though, please know that we will not include any Marine or Soldier’s story without their permission (or the permission of their family in the case of a fallen servicemember). And, please know that we will not recreate the death of a named Marine or Soldier during gameplay. Instead, these sacrifices are described during the documentary segments, usually in the form of interviews with those who were closest to them.

We believe that trying to do something for yourself gives you empathy for the person who faced this challenge in real life. We can never recreate the full thing. But, we can reveal the complexity and difficulty of many of these situations through gameplay and provide context respectfully through documentary.
Recon4thCav

Any plans on doing a DLC on the Army point of view? Like contacting SSG Bell that was awarded the MOH for Operation Phantom Fury?

I'll be honest, still not sure how I feel. I hate seeing things get canceled, but when it is some Gold Star Families wanting it banned, makes me rethink things. Hits home. My God Daughter is a Gold Star Family and I was there when her father was KIA in OIFII. I have seen how hard it is for her 17 years later.

Either way thank you for responding and wish you all the best!
AmperCamper
Community Manager

We're certainly open to including more perspectives as there's so many stories worth telling during this piece of history.

Let me say thank you again for joining the forums and sharing not only your story but also your thoughts in a meaningful and respectful way. It means tons to myself and the team, and we recognize it's not always easy to do.
Don't Panic

Recon4thCav wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:45 pm Any plans on doing a DLC on the Army point of view? Like contacting SSG Bell that was awarded the MOH for Operation Phantom Fury?

I'll be honest, still not sure how I feel. I hate seeing things get canceled, but when it is some Gold Star Families wanting it banned, makes me rethink things. Hits home. My God Daughter is a Gold Star Family and I was there when her father was KIA in OIFII. I have seen how hard it is for her 17 years later.

Either way thank you for responding and wish you all the best!
Hey there Recon,

I am one of the people, and also just a civilian to clarify, who have been waiting for this project to come back. I would like to share my interest from the players point of view as maybe it will bring forth a better understanding for you as to why people like me are heavily interested in this particular project. Please bare with me as I will give some detail before an explanation...

I wanted to first say thank you for sharing your story, and actually opening my eyes more than they were to how deep these wounds go after losing a loved one and friend in such a conflict.

I come from a family with a very deep United States Military background, going all the way back to the Revolutionary War. Growing up I knew for me the military was not my calling, but the history of our nation was of my highest interests, and still is. I became obsessed with it and more specifically for this discussion the wars and conflicts we've been a part of.

With that being said I have always gathered my information from a plethora of resources, primarily documentaries and books. But, every now and again something similar in certain aspects to Six Days In Fallujah comes along and it really peaks my interest.

Why you may ask? Not because I want to "run and gun" and just shoot and shout my way through the campaign like your average AAA title such as Call of Duty. Instead, this specific project provides a unique opportunity in many ways. This time, unlike many other games, the goal is not to entertain by literal definition, but to educate and give people as much of a simulated experience as possible to try to educate us and provide understanding as to what it was like to be in such a hellish environment like Fallujah.

With the narrative campaign being told by real people, and their real stories, this also provides another one of those unique aspects I mentioned. That being, that we can experience as realistically as possible, as ordinary people in most cases or at least mine, what it was like in the soldiers and civilians eyes... What it was like in each moment and depicted as accurately as possible by the developers to match the stories of those who came forward to share them.

I ask that you not look at this as a "game" as much of an oxymoron as it seems. I only say this because the word "game" is a broad term used since the invention of the odyssey to pong to arcades to modern consoles. When I look at this project, I see it as what I can only describe as a docu-sim or in full terms, a documentary simulation in the most literal definition as possible. I also used the word depiction earlier as the portrayal of these stories are being created from scratch to be simulated on our screens in certain ways by the development team.

All of these things bring forth an amalgamation of emotionally touching scenarios as this is not fantasy, but as close to reality as a simulated project could be.

Lastly I wanted to say that this project has the potential to memorialize and immortalize all of those who were there, who fought, some who made the ultimate sacrifice, and potentially bring forth love that was previously unknown by the families that you mentioned and to all of those who served.

As civilians we may not know some of their names, but I think it would be so uniquely interesting to be able to "play" through a story portrayed by those who were there, with the help of the great development team who will be bringing this before us. For me, this will not only be a unique experience, but a great honor and privilege to have a chance at a deeper understanding of what it was like to be there.

I know at the beginning you said no one will know what it was like unless they go to war and fight, and I agree, but for many of us that either is not an option or our calling. You have my upmost respect for serving our country, as do all of the soldiers past, present and future. I just ask that you open your heart as we, the civilians, try to connect with those who did serve to get only a better understanding of what it was like, and to support those men and women in as many ways as possible.
taskforce131

Recon4thCav wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:04 pm As a Veteran of Operation Phantom Fury, I'm not sure how I feel about this game. I get some of us want to tell our stories, but I know this will hurt others. I also understand civilians want to feel what war is, but nothing can do that unless you go to war and fight.

I also have to respect the Gold Star Families that are against this. Have you tried to reach out to them? Why use real names?
what was your MOS ? what unit you were in and who was your commander ? lot of ppl pretending to be a solider but they are not so let check and see if you are.
RubyFox

Let's not create anything based on someone's feelings. /s
Recon4thCav

taskforce131 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:44 am
Recon4thCav wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:04 pm As a Veteran of Operation Phantom Fury, I'm not sure how I feel about this game. I get some of us want to tell our stories, but I know this will hurt others. I also understand civilians want to feel what war is, but nothing can do that unless you go to war and fight.

what was your MOS ? what unit you were in and who was your commander ? lot of ppl pretending to be a solider but they are not so let check and see if you are.
19D F Troop 4th Cavalry. Cpt Mayfield(Should be easy he won the Silver Star). Or I could show you my Retired Military ID, orders, DD214, and etc.
Recon4thCav

But yes let's question my service. I bet you would not if I agreed with the game. God forbid a veteran of Operation Phantom Fury supports Gold Star Families.
Recon4thCav

Or you could ask SSG Bell, he was awarded the MOH if I was there. Would that prove I was there?